Monday 22 March 2010

Finding the 'write' voice!

I've been puttering for a little over a year, mostly modern romance, because up until 6 months ago it was really all I ever read.

Anyway, New Year, new books, different genre, loads of varied authors. Now I'm finding that my 'voice' has changed! Could it be that the more you read, the more you are likely to find where your true talent really lies, or, am I just being influenced by what I'm currently reading?

I'm going to post something in my next blog which won a recent writer's challenge - if you happen to come by and read it, leave a comment a let me know what you think.

M

3 comments:

  1. Mavis.. what a coincidence.. I've been trying to find the 'write' voice too.. Genre wise, I am pretty consistent - paranormal is my world :)

    But man, at times, I tend to write chicklit, and other times, intense and dark ...

    Still trying to find out ;) Let me know if you have luck landing yours..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Ju! I'm trying to read loads this year which I'm hoping will help .... does no harm to see how published authors get it down on paper!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mavis, I'd have to say, yes! The more you read the more you are likely to find your true talent. And yes, there will also be some influence in the beginning, but it guides you towards your own voice.
    I've had the same experience with art. We study the works of those who inspire us and, by emulation, discover our own style. It took me a long time to find my drawing style, and now people are starting to "recognize" my art. Same goes with writing I would say.
    And you already know what I think about your latest writer's challenge. If that's the voice that's coming out of all your reading, I think you've got it! :-)

    ReplyDelete